The inspiration

Saturday 30 January 2016

Curried Cod Loin

Curried Cod Loin

This is a version of a recipe in the Hairy Bikers "Mum Knows Best" cookbook. The original recipe is for Curried Salmon and it is delicious but on this occasion I've used cod loins and it was equally good.


The original recipe serves 6 and this is the quantities I'm giving here with notes about what I used.  The spice mix will keep in a jar or sealed bag if you want to make the full amount.

Quantities for 6 (I made for 3)

1kg salmon steaks, descaled   (I used 3 cod loins, they were frozen ones)
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped ( I used 2)
4cm piece of fresh ginger finely chopped ( I used 2cm)
1 or 2 green chillies, deseeded and chopped (optional) I used about ½ tsp red chilli flakes
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes (I used the same here)
2 fresh tomatoes, sliced (I used about 6 cherry tomatoes, halved)
fresh coriander, chopped

Spice Mix
2½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground peppercorns
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp garam masala
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp lovage seeds (Ajwain seeds)
½ tsp dried red chilli flakes (use more or less to taste)
2 tsp turmeric

This is the spice mix for 6 servings.  Use half for 3 and put the rest in a jar or bag marked up for the next time you cook it.

Tarka Mix
3 tbsp veg oil
1 tsp lovage seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped 

When I made the Tarka mix I only used ½ tbsp oil and 2 garlic cloves but probably the same amount of seeds 

Wash the salmon, rinse and dry well, cut into chunks and place in a bowl.  (I kept the cod loins whole.

Add the spice mix and gently toss with the fish to cover. Add the garlic, ginger and chillis and gently mix again to cover.  Set aside for 10 minutes.

Prepare the tarka mix. Heat the oil and add the lovage seeds, fry gently until almost black then add the cumin seeds and fry for 5 seconds. Add the garlic and cook gently until just golden then add the fish to the pan.

Cook on a medium heat, moving the fish very gently to avoid breaking it up. Once the salmon is sealed and brown (I didn't go this far with the cod, just cooked it gently for a few minutes), add 225ml hot water and the canned and fresh tomatoes.  I didn't add so much water as I used the whole can of tomatoes for just 3 of us).  Bring to a boil and simmer gently for a few minutes until the fish is cooked through.  

Sprinkle with coriander and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment