The inspiration

Monday 11 August 2014

Creamy Crab Soup in the style of the Jolly Fisherman in Craster

I had this soup for lunch at the Jolly Fisherman in Craster, Northumberland. 



It was so delicious I wanted to make it for myself.  This is my version.

1 tsp Olive oil
1 tsp Butter
Tomato puree
Onions
Garlic
Celery
Carrots
Bay leaf
Salt and Pepper
Pot of crabmeat, white and brown (approx 400g)
fish stock
Double cream

Heat the oil and butter, gently fry the tomato puree for a minute or two to cook off then add the onions.  Fry a couple of minutes then add chopped carrots, garlic, bay leaf and celery.  Cook for 5 mins then add the fish stock.  Bring to the boil, then simmer until the veg are soft.

At this point you could sieve out the veg and discard, but I didn't, I just removed the bay leaf then blended them until smooth.  Again you could pass it at this point if you want a nice smooth soup.  Taste and adjust the seasoning.  Add the crab and cream and heat gently until hot.  DO NOT BOIL.


No comments:

Post a Comment