The inspiration

Wednesday 24 April 2013

Invention

Sometimes you just have to make something up.  It's a popular concept on "Ready Steady Cook" and even "Masterchef" has it's invention test.

See what you have in the cupboard and the fridge and concoct something for tea.

One example is the Miriani on this blog.  A kind of Biryani but using mexican flavours like chipotle paste.

Here's another one:

Cosotto

This is a bit of a mishmash.  I made a tomato sauce with added chorizo and Mattesons pork sausage and then instead of cooking pasta to serve it with, I added giant couscous.



So, here's how I made it.

Fry up a chopped onion and a clove of garlic with some chopped chorizo.  I had about 100g chorizo left in my fridge.

Add whatever veg you fancy, eg peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, frozen peas or sweetcorn.  Hey, it's your meal, add what you like. Add herbs eg oregano and thyme or spices like chilli flakes or smoked paprika.

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes or passata and simmer for 5-10 minutes.

At this point, I added chunks of Mattesons smoked pork sausage, but you could add chunks of ham or cooked chicken. (If you want to use raw chicken add it with the chorizo). Prawns would be nice too.

Now add the couscous.  I used the giant couscous which needs about 10 minutes cooking.  If you wanted to use the small grained one, add it and it'll take a couple of minutes to soak up the juices. Add extra water or stock if your mixture is too dry.

Once the couscous is cooked, it's ready.  

It's good cold for lunch the next day as well!

You could use orzo pasta instead of couscous, or some small pasta shapes.  Your tea, your choice.

6 comments:

  1. Where do you get your giant couscous from? I've never been able to find any in my part of London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Moonshadow,

    I get my giant couscous at Sainsbury's. Its a Merchant Gourmet Brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I'll have to try my local branch. I have been sitting on an Israeli recipe for tomato soup for ages waiting to get hold of some giant couscous. It is a fairly standard tomato soup- all the usual culprits - olive oil, carrots, onions, garlic, chicken stock and of course tomatoes. The Israeli touch, appears to come from the ground cumin, dried mint, fresh coriander leaves and cayenne pepper used to flavour it and the giant couscous

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup sounds good. I hope you manage to find the couscous locally so that you can enjoy the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got the giant couscous today. Its a lot more expensive than normal size(should have realised as soon as you mentioned Merchant Gourmet, not the cheapest of brands around). I've now got to wait until Saturday when I can get to Lewisham market and get some good fresh plum tomatoes.
    I notice you are also a user of the Australian Women's Weekly Books. I use them a lot, if you have not yet got the Spanish book I can thoroughly recommend that. Is definitely the one i use the most.
    Do you browse their website? i also browse the New Zealand Women's Weekly website

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Australian Women's Weekly books are good. I've got the Spanish one and I have used the Greek one quite a bit. I'm going to have a look at the websites, I didn't realise they had one.

    ReplyDelete